Covid-19 Daily Bulletin
27 October 2020
A series of daily updates for CHO members regarding relevant updates pertaining to Coronavirus from home and abroad.
- The latest daily Covid figures report 20,890 new cases, 1,142 hospital admissions and 102 new deaths.
- Warrington has moved into the tier three, very high local Covid alert level.
- Nottingham will move into tier three restrictions from 12.01am on Thursday.
- Levels of protective antibodies in people wane “quite rapidly” after coronavirus infection, researchers from Imperial College London have found.
- Fifty-four Conservative MPs have written to the Prime Minister calling for a roadmap for a way out of lockdown for the North.
- A report commissioned by Labour and led by social justice campaigner Lady Lawrence has blamed decades of structural discrimination for the disproportionate impact coronavirus has had on black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
- Stock markets in the US and Europe fell sharply as investors focused on signs that rich countries’ efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic were floundering.
- The trial of the Oxford University and AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine produces an immune response in both older and young adults, a spokesperson for AstraZeneca has said.
- Wales continues to operate a ‘fire break’ lockdown.
- Jim Jones, the managing director of North Wales Tourism has called for clarity on rules after the national Covid firebreak lockdown ends.
- More lockdown measures are ” possible ” in the future, Wales’ health minister has said.
- The list of Covid alert levels by area in England is here.
- Additional measures are in place in the central belt of Scotland until 06:00 on Monday 2 November.
- The rest of Scotland should continue to follow the general guidance on staying safe.
- MSPs are to debate and vote on Scotland’s new five-level system of local Covid-19 restrictions.
- The number of people working offshore in the North Sea fell by more than a third at the start of the coronavirus lockdown, figures from Oil and Gas UK show.
- The list of restrictions in Northern Ireland is available here.
- Antrim Area Hospital has warned it is “operating beyond capacity” with 27 sick patients awaiting admission.
- The US Trump administration will this week announce a plan to cover out-of-pocket costs of Covid-19 vaccines for millions of Americans who receive Medicare or Medicaid.
- Mainland China reported 16 new confirmed Covid-19 cases on 26 October, down from 20 a day earlier.
- Protesters turned out by the hundreds in Turin, Milan and other Italian cities and towns on Monday to vent their anger at the latest pandemic restrictions.
- The World Health Organization chief warned Monday that abandoning efforts to control the coronavirus pandemic was “dangerous” and urged countries not to “give up”.
- The UK hotel industry could take four years to return to 2019 levels of business, even if an effective vaccine helps the sector to recover from the deep financial hit caused by Covid 19, according to PWC.
- Concerns are growing that long NHS waiting times caused by the coronavirus crisis are exacerbating pre-existing health inequalities and creating a “two-tier” system, the Health Foundation has warned.